Michigan Community Dental Clinics, Inc. (MCDC) is a not-for-profit management services corporation, established in 2006, to allow the successful Dental Clinics North (DCN) model for delivery of public health dental services to expand to other areas of Michigan.
MCDC utilizes electronic patient records, digital radiography, state of the art dental equipment and compensation methods that encourage productivity, efficiency, and cost control. The result is a network of public health dental clinics that resemble private practice providing timely, much-needed services to a greater number of people. In addition, the financial model for the dental program is designed to break even so that the local Health Department does not have to provide support to the dental clinics.
The target populations served by the clinics are adults and children on Medicaid, as well as low income, uninsured individuals. Non-Medicaid clients are offered a reduced fee schedule equivalent to the Delta Dental PPO rates. Surplus funds allow for the establishment of the Dental Assistance Fund which is used to supplement the cost of care on a sliding percentage, based upon an individual’s income.
MCDC assists local Health Departments establish dental clinics by:
- Design new or remodeling existing dental facilities
- Provide specifications for equipment and supplies
- Manage clinic facilities
With this approach, MCDC is able to attract and retain exceptional dental practitioners who now have a viable alternative to owning their own private practice.
Our Business Model
When people have access to comprehensive oral health care, their overall health, well-being and self-confidence are significantly improved, as are their ability to secure employment, learn in school, and contribute to society. Michigan has over 1.5 million residents with annual incomes below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. The majority of this group do not have dental insurance or are on Medicaid, and have poor access to dental care.
Michigan Community Dental Clinics, Inc. (MCDC), a non-profit, 501(c)3 corporation, has been formed to address this access problem by creating and managing dental clinics on behalf of local Public Health Departments in Michigan.
Currently, MCDC administers a network of clinics, primarily in Northern Michigan, that serve over 90,000 individuals statewide.
The practice style used in MCDC administered public health clinics is a social entrepreneur model, which is akin to the prevention-driven private practice model, with incentives to increase productivity and control costs. This approach generates teamwork that enthusiastically provides needed care, regardless of the payer source.
Our clinics utilize state-of-the-art equipment that includes digital panoramic and intra-oral radiography, and Dentrix® practice management software at chairside to provide the electronic patient chart. This allows efficient delivery of care, reduces charting and billing errors, and manages healthcare records that are easily read and understood.
Through the creation of regionally marketed reduced fee programs (e.g., the Northern Dental Plan and Michigan Community Dental Plan), low-income uninsured individuals gain access to care in affiliated public health clinics, as well as to self-selected private practitioners who participate in the program. In these reduced-fee plans, after paying an enrollment fee that covers the initial exam, patients pay for care directly to the provider. Fees coincide with the Delta Dental DPO fee schedule.
As clinics generate monies in excess of costs, monies will be accumulated in a Dental Assistance Fund to help contribute to the cost of care in our clinics on a sliding scale, based upon the patient’s income. This allows our clinics to provide care to those with very low incomes, as well as for services not covered by Medicaid.
MCDC Mission Statement:
Our mission is to create and expand access to ever improving quality dental care for Medicaid recipients and low income, uninsured persons. This care is rendered through an entrepreneurial public health model, which incorporates health education to modify behavior, and is delivered in a fashion that upholds mutual respect and improves our patients’ quality of life.
MCDC Vision Statement:
- A healthy Michigan population, who assume responsibility for their own wellness, with our staff’s guidance and proper intervention.
- Expansion of our clinic system to allow establishment of “dental homes” for persons unable to obtain care in traditional private sector settings.
- The care rendered within our dental facilities will be modeled to provide for appropriate oral healthcare for each individual, delivered efficiently and productively.
- Our care will provide for a continuously improving level of quality designed to exceed the expectation of those who seek treatment from us.
- By incorporating appropriate business practices, we will continually improve our systems to ensure our ability to meet the basic treatment needs of all our patients.
- Creation of a political and social sensitivity to the needs, outcomes, and benefits of dental public health.
- Creation of a viable career alternative in public health for dental professionals and ancillary staff.
- Improving the awareness and importance of oral health among all healthcare professionals.